Thursday, January 25, 2018

Coffee and Tea Dyeing Fabric

Hello Stitchy Friends!

On my day off a few weeks ago I decided to get brave and attempt dyeing my own fabric for the first time. I have all of the colors of rit dye but wanted to start out with something a little less intimidating than that! LOL.

I am a huge fan of Priscilla and Chelsea and have followed Priscilla's blog for the last few years. They always stitch on fabric that they coffee and tea dye and their finishes are always adorable. They put together a great video tutorial on their coffee tea dying process so I decided to try it out myself!

Here are my results....


Here is my fabric taking it's coffee tea bath :)


And here it is after baking and fully drying:


Side 1 - Lighter Side 



Side 2 - Darker Side

I love the way this turned out! I wish I had done this before stitching my Gingerbread Tree ornament because I think it would look amazing on this fabric. Hmmmm...I may need to stitch it again! :D  This color is a great neutral and many designs would really look nice on it. Since I only did one yard of fabric I did use a little less tea and coffee than Priscilla and Chelsea did in their video. I used 4 Lipton family size tea bags and 1/3 cup of instant coffee. I just got the cheap Great Value Walmart brand of instant coffee. I know I will be doing this again when I need more of a nice brown neutral fabric :) The fabric I used was 28 count white Monaco since I have an entire bolt of it to use up.

I have also seen some other great tutorials and videos on Coffee/Tea dyeing your fabric as well so I will post links to them here:

Priscilla and Chelsea - Coffee Tea Dyeing Video (this is the one I followed)
Vonna - The Twisted Stitcher - Baked and Basted Fabric (I think this is where the baking in the oven originated)
Primitive Stitcher - She has about 3 or 4 videos on dyeing your fabric to be more primitive looking

If you have not tried coffee or tea dyeing your fabric, give it a try! It was easy and the results are awesome! Now I just need to get brave and try some rit dyes! :)

Happy Stitching!
Laura

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!